Lewis Family Crest Is Ready

Mat Woodworth (boldlinedesign@gmail.com), a most talented commercial artist, drew our Lewis family crest, and Monica and Ray Sommerville of  Sommerville Pottery in Pulteney, NY are making pottery including handmade mugs, trivets, cheese boards and other ceramic items.  Click on “Lewis Family” to get to more photos and pricing information.

We are one of many Lewis families from Wales.  Our crest was borne by Rhys Goch ca 1070.  Rhys was a local tribal chieftain from the area near present-day Abergavenny, Wales.  The crest is a Welsh dragon with a bloody severed left hand in it’s mouth.  No one knows the exact story of the dragon with the bloody hand.  There is a woodcarving of the crest in black oak over the fireplace of the dining room at Gregygnog, a manor that is now a residential educational center of the University of Wales Institute of Rural Health.  It is #10 at this web page Blayney Room Lewis Crest

8 Comments

1. Keith Lewis
    Posted May 30, 2010 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Hello,

I’m looking for information on Irving John Lewis born 1915, Jacob Oliver Lewis born approximately 1825 (Father of Irving) and Samuel S Lewis (Father of Jacob). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Keith Lewis

2. peter lewis
    Posted August 30, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I was astounded to come across your site today with the illustration of the crest. Years ago my father should me a picture in a one of the books of British Heraldry and stated it was our family crest. I was about 10 years old at the time and often tried to find it. Our crest if I remember it correctly is so similar to yours.I thought I remembered it as a greyhound, wearing a collar I think, but divided in colour vertically and rising out of a daffodil. The greyhound was weeping. Now compare my description with your illustration and it is possible that this is what I really saw 62 years ago!

3. tristen lewis
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

the lewis family rules so does the u.s.a

4. darla
    Posted June 30, 2012 at 12:43 am | Permalink

I am the grand daughter of Elbert Howell lewis and I was wanting to know the meaning behind the family crest

5. geoffrey lewis
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Greetings,

I saw your crest online and was interested as to its origins. My grandfather showed it to me long ago and said it was ours from way back when. Though I can’t really trace my line past him. Perhaps we have some distant relative? Not really sure myself, but thought I’d at least say hello.

V/r
    Geoffrey Lewis

6. Jesse Lewis
    Posted May 16, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

The explanation for this design that I’ve heard involves a brief story:

A raiding party was going from Ireland to Wales, and there was a Lewis ancestor on board. The captain of the party said the first man to lay his hand on land got to claim it for himself. So, as they approached the shore, the Lewis man cut off his own hand and flung it ashore.

7. Molly Lewis
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

The most recent crest is actually different, as can be seen here…
    According to my search of ancestry, that is the Lewis family crest from the Welsh kings of Montgomeryshire, the first being King Gwaithfoed of Powys Ap Gwrydr, born around the year 1000. So when the hand got switched around to be the right hand instead and facing downward would certainly be interesting to know! =)

8. Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Everything is very open with a very clear description of the challenges.

It was truly informative. Your site is useful. Thanks for sharing!