Alois Preston “Pressy” Fitz Randolph was born Sept 7, 1872 in Berea, WV. He married Jennie Mae Sutton, daughter of Martin and Mary (Stalnaker) Sutton on March 28, 1895. Alois Preston died November 10, 1953 at the home of his daughter Avis in Cleveland, TN, and Jennie died there April 23, 1962. They are buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Berea, WV.
Alois was a school teacher in Ritchie, Harrison, Braxton and Taylor Counties for 50 years. He taught mostly in one-room country schools, and wrote an autobiography which gives valuable insight into rural life and schooling in West Virginia in the last quarter of the 19th century and first half of the 20th century.
Children of Alois Preston Fitz Randolph and Jennie Mae Sutton, all born in Berea, WV:
1. Brady Fitz Randolph, born July 28, 1896, married Mary Anna Juergens on August 24, 1918. He was a graduate of Salem College, teacher, postmaster, International Harvester dealer, Chevrolet dealer, and active in many civic affairs. Mary was also very active in the community, and was President of several clubs and organizations.
2. Harold Fitz Randolph, born January 1, 1899, died January 24, 1901 of whooping cough
3. Ashby Fitz Randolph, born January 24, 1901 (same day Harold died), and died June 19, 1993. He married Ruth Content Bond in December 1925. They are my grandparents, and their information is in the section below and their autobiography.
4. Avis Fitz Randolph, born October 30, 1903, married Archie Roosevelt Swiger on May 31,1928. Avis wrote an autobiography, the first seven chapters of which are published on this site.
5. Randal Fitz Randolph, born February 8, 1905, died March 10, 1907
6. Rev. Elmo Fitz Randolph, born August 31, 1913, married Madeline Watts on September 1, 1937. They had seven children, six of whom lived to adulthood. Uncle Elmo wrote about his life in three books, and encouraged me to publish them on the web so they could be broadly available. The first two books are currently published, and I will publish the third after I have it scanned in.