Jesse Fitz Randolph, born May 21, 1768 in Piscataway, NJ and died June 30, 1863 in New Salem, West Virginia. He married Delilah LaForge soon after coming to Salem with the church in 1792. After Delilah died, he married Elizabeth Gillis on March 23, 1826. Elizabeth was born March 11, 1792 in Belfast Ireland to protestant parents and died March 23, 1866.
Jesse was a teenager when his family moved to Salem, West Virginia. Salem was on the stage coach line to the Ohio River, and Jesse kept a tavern that was a popular stage coach stop. He was a lifelong member of the Salem Seventh Day Baptist Church, and is buried in the churchyard.
Children of Jesse Fitz Randolph and Delilah LaForge Fitz Randolph, all born in Salem, WV:
1. Samuel Fitz Randolph, born 1799, married Zipporah Davis in 1818
2. John LaForge Fitz Randolph, born October 23, 1802, married 1) Experience Brown
3. Margaret Fitz Randolph, married George Williams in 1823
4. Sarah Fitz Randolph
5. David Fitz Randolph, born 1895, twin, died young
6. Jonathan Fitz Randolph, born 1805, twin, married Jane Maxson in 1827 (Jonathan’s son Jesse b 1/29/1841 was the first President of the Salem College Board of Directors, serving in that capacity from 1888-1892 and again from 1894 – 1906. He served on the board from 1888 – 1918. He died in 1928 and is buried in the Salem Seventh Day Baptist churchyard.)
Child #2, John LaForge Fitz Randolph, is my ancestor.
Children of Jesse Fitz Randolph and Elizabeth Gillis Fitz Randolph, all born in Salem, WV:
7. Elizabeth Fitz Randolph, born 1827, married Rev. Samuel D. Davis in 1862
8. Mary Fitz Randolph, married Amaziah Flint
9. Alexander Fitz Randolph, died young
10. Nancy Fitz Randolph, born August 12, 1830, married Randolph Davis
11. Lloyd Fitz Randolph, born April 14, 1833, married Elizabeth Davis in 1858