Chapter 11 – Robert Lewis of Granville (born 1738/39)
Colonel ROBERT LEWIS of Granville (b. 1738/9 in Hanover Co, VA, m. Sept 3, 1760 d. Nov 7, 1780 in Granville Co, NC) and (Mary) Francis Lewis (b. Aug 1, 1744 d. ca. 1791 ) (first cousins). Referred to as “Col Robert Lewis” and “Colonel of the Granville militia”. Delegate from Granville to the Constitutional Convention which met in Halifax, North Carolina on November 12, 1776. Recognized by the D.A.R. as a revolutionary patriot.
Robert (Robert of Granville) (b. 1738/9 in Hanover Co, VA, m. Sept 3, 1760 d. ) and (Mary) Francis Lewis (b. Aug 1, 1744 d. ) (first cousins). Robert of Granville was born 1738/9 in Hanover County, Virginia. His first cousin (Mary) Francis Lewis (daughter of Charles Lewis and Mary Howell) was born August 1, 1744 in Goochland County, Virginia. (Mary) Francis Lewis was a daughter of Charles Lewis (b. 10.13.1696 ) and Mary Howell. Charles Lewis and Mary Howell Lewis occupied the Byrd (Bird) Plantation, and are said to have had 10 children.
Robert and (Mary) Francis Lewis were married September 3, 1760. To them were born:
- James Lewis, c. 1761, VA, married Susanna Anderson (DAR #96987)
- William Lewis, c. 1762, VA, died by August 1792, Orange County, NC
- Robert (Robert of Mecklenburg) Lewis, 1764, VA, married Ann Bugg Nov 10, 1788
- Howell Lewis, c. 1765, VA
- Frances (Fannie) Lewis, date unknown, married Dr. John Paine
- Charles D. Lewis, b. 1773, VA, d. Dec 27, 1817 Sumner County, TN. Married Ann (Nancy) Smith, April 15, 1793. Children: Charles, Frances, Mary, Ann (Nancy), Martha, Jane Meriwether, Robert Henry b. May 20, 1811, Howell d. relatively young
- Joseph (?) Lewis, c. 1775, married Elizabeth Walker (DAR #248328)
- Jane Meriwether Lewis, b. July 31, 1776, Granville County, NC,d. July 22, 1843 in Rutherford County, TN. Married 1) Paine 2) Dr. Swepson Sims
- Nicholas Meriwether Lewis, c1788, Granville County, NC, Married 1) Elizabeth Sutherland, 2) Harriet W. Grimes
- John (?) Lewis, married Rebecca Latiner Posey (DAR #42795)
Robert Lewis (Robert of Granville), husband of (Mary) Francis Lewis, served as a Delegate from Granville to the Constitutional Convention which met at Halifax, North Carolina, on November 12, 1776. On February 3, 1778, Robert Lewis Esq. produced a Commission as “Colonel of the Granville Militia”. In the abstract of wills and estate records, he is referred to as Colonel Robert Lewis.